Help with Transport

Transport to branch meetings and exercise classes

If you need help getting to the Branch Meetings, Exercise Classes or to any of the social and support meetings, the Herts County Council website gives useful guidance on what is currently available at Some of the options that you can use are outlined in this section.


Dial-a-Ride is available to residents of Hertfordshire who have a permanent disability, are in receipt of mobility allowance or qualify based on their age. You can ring 01992 556771 to register. Fares are comparable with public transport.

Herts Action on Disability (HAD)

This provides 24 hour transport, and is a wheelchair-accessible transport service providing one-off and regular journeys. Ring 01707 375159 for availability and a quote.

Community Transport

There is a wide variety of Hertfordshire and local schemes largely run by volunteers who ask for a contribution towards petrol costs. Contact Parkinson’s Local Adviser: (Tracey) on 0344 225 3779

Non-Emergency Patient Transport

Call 0300-3032101 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday for advice and information about transport to Hospital or Health appointments

Bus Pass

The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme provides bus passes for those who have reached the state pension age for women (even if you are a man!). You can apply via or call 0300 123 4050. Application packs are also available from your local library or district/borough council office.

Taxi Vouchers for St Albans residents

Taxi vouchers are available from St Albans District Council for St Albans City and District residents who have a permanent disability but do not have regular access to a car, and also for all St Albans City and District residents over 75 years of age who do not have regular access to a car.

Branch Taxi Fund

The Branch can assist with the cost of a taxi for you to attend a Branch activity, if you are unable to find transport elsewhere. However, members who request help with the cost of transport should first check whether assistance is available from Herts County Council or any of the other sources listed in the Transport section of the Branch Yearbook. If help is not available from elsewhere, members may apply for a transport subsidy. Requests for a subsidy can be made by speaking to any member of the Committee. Committee members may authorise and pay travel expenses, but they should notify the treasurer accordingly and receipts should be provided. In all cases the amount claimed must be reasonable.

Blue Badge Parking Scheme

Those who have disabilities can apply for a Parking Scheme Blue Badge. You can use the badge not only in your own car but also if you are being given a lift in someone else’s car. Ring Health & Community Services on 0300 123 4042 for an application form or to renew an existing badge. Alternatively, you can download an application form from the Herts County Council web site