Help from Social Services

Health & Community Services (HCS)

Request an assessment for:

  •  Equipment and adaptations to the home (occupational therapist will visit)
  • Care package – day visits by carers e.g. help with showering or dressing
  • Day Care Centres
  • Respite care
  • Home finder service to source places in care homes
  • Carer’s assessment and carer’s grants

N.B. Some services are subject to financial assessment. Call 0300 123 4042


Disability Benefits

Attendance Allowance (for those over 65) and Personal Independence Payment (previously Disability Living Allowance) for the under 65s – these are non-income related benefits payable to people with a disability.

For forms and enquiries call:

  • Attendance Allowance: 0345 605 6055
  • Disability Living Allowance: 0845 7123456
  • Personal Independence Payment: 0800 917 2222 (new claims)
    0845 850 3322 (enquiries)
  • Carer’s Allowance: 0845 608432

(The Carer’s allowance is for carer’s relatives under pension age, if they are not working because they need to be with the person they are caring for.)

For assistance with completing forms contact:
Tracey Tucker, your Parkinson’s Local Adviser, on 0344 225 3779
or Your local Citizens Advice Bureau


HertsHelp can guide you as to which of the services in this section you could usefully use, and put you directly into contact with the appropriate services. To contact them, telephone 0300 123 4044 or Provides information on services available plus links with Community Navigator scheme for face to face support.